I love love love shortbread biscuits, they’re so delicious and perfect with a cup of tea. As a girl who steers away from dairy however, they aren’t ideal. So after doing a hell of a lot of research I’ve discovered a recipe to make delicious shortbread style biscuits completely dairy-free, with just four ingredients and as an added bonus, without using any refined sugar.
21⁄4 cups of plain flour (280g)
115g dairy-free butter – I used Vitalite Sunflower Oil spread
1⁄3 cup of maple syrup (110g)
1⁄2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and get ready two baking trays lined with baking paper – or as I did use a silicone mat
- Place the butter into a cake mixer (or large mixing bowl) and whisk until creamy.
- Once complete, add the syrup, vanilla extract and salt and mix everything together until combined.
- Taking the flour, add this to the mixture and using a wooden spoon begin to mix everything together until it starts to become doughy.
- With clean hands, ensure that all the flour and wet ingredients are fully mixed and combine together until you can make a ball with the dough. The mixture shouldn’t be sticky – if it is, add more flour.
- Between two sheets of baking paper, roll out the mixture to the thickness that you desire. I went for about an quarter of an inch.
- Carefully cut out the shape you desire with your cookie cutter, or simply cut the mixture with a pizza cutter into classic rectangle shortbread biscuits, and transfer onto your prepared trays for baking.
- Using a fork, prick your biscuits evenly throughout to ensure they don’t break easily once baked.
- Put the biscuits into the oven and cook for approximately 12 minutes, or until the edges start to become golden brown. Please note, the biscuits will harden within minutes of being out of the oven – so don’t overcook them!
- Wait 10 minutes for the biscuits to cool, oh it’s so hard.
I hope you’ve enjoyed this recipe and please let me know if you’ve tried this recipe and how it worked for you.
I’d also love any recommendations for other vegan baking recipes or blogs which are great inspiration for these types of recipes!