I recently saw a quote that said something along the lines of;
Them: Here’s my super simple breakfastSomewhere on Instagram (Mine is @becca.by.nature)
Breakfast: Oats with 5 different kinds of seeds, berries, almond milk, powders, herbs, salt and pepper
I’ve never related to something so much in my life. This is literally me! If I’m going to be in a rush or I fancy a cold, sweet breakfast the following day, this is what I’ll make..
Overnight oats with berries, seeds and protein powder.
This breakfast is full of protein, complex carbs, healthy fats, omega-3 and fibre. First of all, it’s super sweet and for me, an absolute delight to eat first thing in the morning. Furthermore, it really gets me set up right for the day ahead. Along with keeping me going until my mid-morning snack or lunch.
Each individual ingredient provides different health benefits. Most noteworthy the oats are a great source of complex carbs. They give you energy that fuels both your body and brain. The fruit provides vitamins and a natural source of sweetness. Please note, the berries in this recipe can be swapped out with you choice of fruit.
Also I love using mango or bananas.
On top of that you get protein from the powder provided, along with the chia seeds. Along with the hemp seeds, which are also a source of healthy fats and omega-3. The almond milk (providing it’s fortified) contains vitamin B6 & B12, which as a vegetarian is something you need to make sure you’re getting.
The whole recipe combined provides fibre, along with plenty of nutritional value. Further to this, it kind of tastes like a dessert (which you could also make it as) and it’s completely vegan. Hands down, my favourite and most delicious way to start the day.
What do you need?
- 30 – 50 grams of oats (depending on your appetite)
- A handful of frozen berries (mixed of any of your choice)
- A sprinkling of dried fruit (apricots, raisins or sultanas)
- 2 tablespoons of chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon of hemp seeds
- 15 – 30 grams of protein powder of your choice
- Around 150 ml almond milk
How do I make it?
- Get yourself a super cute ‘Instagram’ style jar or alternatively, just a bowl and start by adding your berries. I find that adding these first works better.
- Next, add your oats, followed by chia seeds, protein powder and hemp seeds. Honestly, these can be added in any order. If you’re wondering, I use the Bulk Powders Vegan Protein in Vanilla >>Buy it here<<
- Add your almond milk, allowing it to sink into the jar or bowl (you may find it bubbles and this is normal). What you want to do is completely cover your ingredients.
- After this, once it looks like everything is covered, just mix together. The desired texture is for it to be a little bit drowned in milk. What’s going to happen overnight is that the oats and chia seeds will soak up the milk. Due to this, it’s definitely better to add more than risk it.
- Finally all that’s left to do is pop it into the fridge (ideally overnight) or for at least an hour.
Get your spoon out and enjoy!
This recipe has been perfect for the summer. Without a doubt, it’s so easy to take on the go if you’re in a rush. Especially if you’ve already put it in an airtight jar. Kilner’s come at me!
I’d love to know what your go to breakfasts are. I’ll be adding more breakfast recipes for the colder months. If you have any requests, let me know.
Love, always – B